News & Articles
- 1 of 602
DisclaimerOur research reports, articles and newsletters are provided for informational purposes only and on the condition that it will not form the sole basis for any investment decision. The authors of this website usually owns and trades the stock we write about. We do however never accept financial compensation from the companies we write about and choose them solely on the basis of fundamental valuation compared to their peer groups. All facts and calculations in our research have been done with the help of public material on company websites, Sedar and calculated to the best of our ability and knowledge. However, factual errors might still occur, and it is every reader´s obligation to do their own research and not to solely rely on information given by us. The research material is our view about the stock and do not constitute advice to buy or sell shares in this or any other company. Even though the authors of these reports get no payment from the companies we write about, we might occasionally be reimbursed for costs while visiting production sites or arranging investor presentations. In no event shall geckoresearch.com be liable to any person for any decision made or action taken in reliance upon the information provided herein. In other words, make your own decisions and proceed at your own risk.
A few extra precautionary wordsInvesting in resource companies, and juniors in particular, is associated with very high risk as well as extreme volatility. For those of you who cannot deal with that kind of environment, we think you should perhaps look elsewhere for investment ideas. Here are some of the guidelines we try to follow ourselves:
1) We never use leverage when investing/speculating.
2) We only invest money that we can afford to lose or leave in the market for a longer period of time (1-2 years).
3) We stay away from ETF's in general. They are paper promises which add another possible risk. One exception could be GDX/GDXJ for those who want a diversified exposure to gold companies.
4) We take profits. We are not afraid to keep some money on the sidelines; there will always be new buying opportunities along the way. One way of doing it, is to sell enough shares after a good run, to enjoy the remaining holding as a free ride.
5) We do our own due diligence to the best of our ability. We also follow the fundamental changes in every holding by reading news releases, MD&A's etc.
6) We try to keep our portfolios well diversified. By doing so, we lower the already high risk. For us, this does not only mean holding many different companies, but also to hold companies with projects in different parts of the world. We believe there are land and political risks everywhere, something that will be even more visible in the coming years.
7) Related to point #6, we have a substantial holding in physical metal as a foundation in our portfolios. It's an easy trade to do, just buy - hold/hide - forget about it. We don't have to worry about confiscation, political risk, natural disasters and management and so on.
Good luck on your investing!
Team Gecko Research